+ ~ -
Please report pronunciation problems here. Select and sample other voices. Options Pause Play
Report an Error

of the storm; but without effect. He set off for home,
and his son accompanied him a mile above Glimmerton.
As, however, he did not make his appearance
at night, his family were alarmed, and next
day a search was made for him. A bundle was found
which was recognised as his. This made the parties
persevere in their search; which they did all that day
and the next, but with no success. On the following
day they renewed their exertions, with a number of
men and their dogs; and, after a considerable amount
of labour, his body was discovered by a dog, in a deep
wreath of snow, near the bridge of Newton.—At Killin,
on the morning of the 16th, Alxander Cameron,
shepherd to Mr. M'Nee, Glenlocay, was found dead. In
attempting to drive his flock to a place of safety, he had
fallen a victim to the storm. His faithful collies
remained two days beside the dead body.—From fifty to
sixty fine sheep, belonging to the dowager Duchess of
Gordon, were smothered in the snow on the same night
in a turnip field, on the farm of Tullich, in Mortlach.

On the morning of Sunday, the 18th, two Fires broke
out, involving much loss of property. The one was in
the premises occupied by the old Woolwich Steam-
packet Company, situated in Globe-lane, High-street,
Woolwich. The fire commenced, from some unknown
cause, in the engineers' workshops, in which property
valued at some thousand pounds was deposited. The
discovery was made by a police constable, who lost no
time in sounding an alarm, and sending for assistance.
In a very brief period two engines were taken to the
spot from her Majesty's dockyard, and a plentiful supply
of water having been procured, the two machines were
soon in operation, but the fire still continued to progress,
and at length assumed such a threatening aspect, that it
was deemed advisable to send to London for additional
assistance. The Southwark-bridge-road engine, another
from Watling-street, and also that belonging to the
West of England Insurance Company, from the
Waterloo-road, were sent down with firemen, and at
once went to the assistance of the local men, when the
flames were shortly extinguished. The engineering work-
shops, together with their valuable contents, were all
but destroyed.—The other fire broke out in the premises
of Mr. Burck, a baker in Berwick-street, Soho, and was
not subdued until the premises in which the disaster
commenced were partly consumed, and some damage
done to the next house, belonging to Messrs. P. Nurdin
and Peacock, egg merchants.

A vessel was nearly destroyed by fire in Yarmouth
Roads, on Sunday morning, the 18th. A guardsman,
while on duty at the end of the jetty, discovered flames
issuing from the deck of a vessel (which proved
afterwards to be the Jane and Margaret, a collier brig of
Newcastle) riding about one mile distant from shore.
He immediately raised an alarm; Captain F. A. Ellis,
R.N., of the Coast Guard, and Lieutenant Eyton, were
speedily on the spot, and under their directions the
Emperor steam-tug steamed out of the harbour and
proceeded to the assistance of the burning vessel, which
by that time was completely enveloped in flames from
the mainmast aft, including the mainsail, after-rigging,
&c., and all chance of getting the fire under being lost,
it was deemed the wisest course, having due regard both
to life and property, to run the brig on shore, which
was accordingly done. There were a large number of
beachmen, and other parties assembled, and by the aid
of the buckets, &c., it was not long before the fire was
extinguished. The stern, bulwarks, sides, and after-
decks, were, however, entirely consumed, as was also
the lower part of the mainmast. The brig was in
ballast, and only left London on the previous Thursday.

A Remarkable Instance of Courage has been shown
by a tradesman in Lincolnshire. Mr. Smith, a baker at
Whaplode, on entering his bakehouse on Saturday
morning the 24th inst., found it on fire; it had been
burning probably all night. The shelves were burnt,
and two great beams above. Immediately over the
room was a chamber occupied as a warehouse by Mr.
Nurse, grocer, who resided in the adjoining house.
This chamber, a very long one, was stored with drugs,
oil, paper, &c., and a quantity of gunpowder. Mr.
Nurse was immediately aroused from his slumbers, and
made aware of the dreadful fact. He instantly proceeded
to the room and found the flames had already penetrated
the floor in the far corner, close to an open raisin-box
containing 23lb. of gunpowder: a quantity of apples
around the box were thoroughly roasted, a knot in the
box was exuding turpentine from the heat, a cask of oil
in the same corner was leaking from the heat, and some
hampers of straw were on fire. The courageous shop-
keeper took up the box of gunpowder, which was
already very hot, and conveyed it safely away. The
fire was afterwards subdued.

Another accident, resulting from the Incautious use
of Naphtha, occurred on the night of the 16th inst., to
two persons, father and son, named Goole, tailors,
residing at 74, Wardour-street, Oxford-street. As they
were engaged in charging a naphtha lamp, the spirit
became suddenly ignited, and in their agitation the
contents of the vessel were upset over their clothes, and
they were instantly enveloped in flames. Screams of
distress were heard to issue from the apartment, and in
a moment the father rushed into the street, enveloped
in fire. Many persons hastened to his assistance, and
by the speedy application of shawls and sundry other
articles of clothing, the flames were soon subdued. The
poor man's clothes were entirely consumed, and his
body was most dreadfully burnt. He was conveyed to
the Middlesex Hospital, and has since died. The son,
although much injured, is expected to recover.

An engineer, out of work in consequence of the strike,
committed suicide on Sunday the 18th instant. As one
of the Citizen steam-boats was proceeding up the river,
several passengers perceived the body of a man lying in
the mud off the Middlesex side of Vauxhall-bridge.
Two watermen dragged the body on to the causeway,
and a shell having been procured, it was taken to the
dead-house of St. Margaret's workhouse, Dean-street,
Westminster. The man was apparently about 29 years
old. The police circulated notices round the district,
and in a few hours a female identified the body as that
of a man named John Leach, an engineer, lately in the
employ of Messrs. Maudslay & Field, of Westminster-
bridge-road, Lambeth. He had been missing since
Friday from his home, and the female stated that he
had been in a low state of mind since his dismissal on
account of the strike.

On Saturday evening, the 24th inst., the great cotton
mill belonging to Messrs. Thomas Ogden and Sons,
Dickenson-street, Manchester, was Destroyed by Fire.
The mill had closed, as is usual on Saturdays, at about
three o'clock, and the workmen had left the premises.
There was, however, a shafting in the third story, which
had worked badly, and a mechanic employed at the
mill was directed to remain after the other hands had
left, and to see that this portion of the machinery was
got into proper working order for Monday. The man
appears to have worked till after five, when no longer
able to see, he went into the street and asked a watchman
to go and hold his lamp for a few minutes to light
him whilst he completed his task. The watchman did
so, but whilst he was assisting the mechanic to lift the
shaft into its place he unfortunately dropped his lamp.
The cotton in one of the spinning frames was ignited by
this accident, the flames ran along rapidly from frame
to frame, for it was an immense building, eight storeys
high, full of frames and spindles; the men perceived
almost in a moment that any efforts by themselves to
stop the progress of the flames would be fruitless. They
therefore raised an alarm, and the fire-engines being
within half a mile from the mill were hastily sent for.
This was at ten minutes to six o'clock, and, though not
less than thirteen engines were almost immediately
brought into operation, by half-past six the entire mill
was on fire, extending 60 yards in length by 20 in
breadth, and the flames were streaming forth from 160
windows at each front of the lofty pile, till they met
and formed an immense single sheet of fire over the
roof. The destruction of the mill was rapidly
accomplished. Floor after floor gave way in quick succession,
each falling through with its heavy masses of machinery;
and the roof and large portions of the walls were also
destroyed at the same time. In less than an hour all
that was left of property worth more than £20,000, was
a few shattered walls enclosing a huge heap of broken,
disjointed, and blackened ironwork, mingled with masses